Monday, March 21, 2011

0030. I need no soft lights to enchant me

iTunes: The Nearness of You - Norah Jones
Mood: tired/exhausted/overworked/underpaid...

I took Ditto to the vet last week because I was tired of him peeing everywhere. I was hoping it was a medical thing so we could give him a few pills or get him a shot and he'd be over it. Well, PK was right that it was medical, but I was wrong that it'd be a quick fix. They diagnosed him with a bacterial infection in his bladder and "probably some kind of kitty mental issue where he hallucinates, and that's why he chases his tail everywhere... that, or he's super sensitive to everything around him and he's responding to that" (gotta love how exact medicine is). He's been at the kitty hospital since last Tuesday, when he threw up on my couch and FREAKED OUT because he was in so much pain. Whatever they gave him stopped him up and he couldn't pee at all! The day after he was admitted, they told me that his fucking kidneys had shut down! He's doing better now, but what the fuck did they give him??? He was FINE except for peeing on the bathroom floor & sometimes the bed. Now his bladder is so bad that he needs a fucking catheter and his kidneys are shutting down???? Something's seriously weird about this whole thing....

I've been on the phone with the vet every day since he was admitted. I ask how he's doing (because even though I'm mad at him for peeing everywhere, I feel bad for him and I realize that he's really a sweet kitty when he's not hurting) and then I ask how much the bill is, because I know keeping a cat hospitalized isn't cheap. They haven't told me how much it is. The last time I had a real solid number ($300) was Wednesday. I kept asking, because PK set a limit of $500. They kept telling me that the doctor hadn't put the notes into the computer yet, so they weren't sure and the doctor would call later to give me a medical and financial update on the cat. I got the medical update, but not the financial update. Saturday, when the doctor finally gave me a total... $830. In addition to the $333 I paid on Monday for "a routine visit that costs $100", the total is now $1163. And even better: the fucking vet hasn't called me back yet, the clinic closed at 6:00, and now there's an additional day of hospitalization to worry about (which is $55 per day).

Oh crap, I realized that there are 2 additional days tacked on to that $1163, because I spoke to him on Saturday. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

I'm sorry, I love Ditto, but there is no cat in this entire world that's worth $1273 (plus whatever medical crap they had to do to him since Saturday).

There goes every bit of money I saved for Italy. FUCK! I feel like they kidnapped my cat, performed all kinds of procedures on him THAT I DID NOT AUTHORIZE (like the x-ray on Monday that cost $106 and was completely unnecessary), and are now holding him for ransom. I'm wondering if I can tell them I'll pay them the $500 I planned on and they can fuck themselves on the rest.

No comments: